The McHenry East and West Counseling Department follows and abides by the procedures and standards as outlined by the American School Counselor Association. Our counseling team is working on establishing itself as a Recognized ASCA Model Program (RAMP). This effort is for the benefit of all stakeholders and allows us to answer, "What does a school counselor do?"
Mission StatementThe McHenry East and West counseling program supports the school's mission statement through a comprehensive and developmental plan that ensures all students are provided an opportunity to be successful in the academic, social/emotional, and college/career domains. The counseling team is a devoted partner with all school personnel, students, parents, and community to collect and evaluate measurable results regarding student needs. Those needs are addressed through proactive services and programs for all students to acquire the knowledge, attitudes, and skills needed to live as productive citizens and life-long learners in a changing society.
PhilosophyThe counselors at McHenry East and West Campus High School believe:
- All students have the right to participate and be actively involved in our developmental school counseling program.
- All students have access to a certified and professional school counselor who abides by the professional school counseling ethics outlined by American School Counselor Association.
- All students have the ability to be successful.
- All students will be provided support and an opportunity to grow academically, socially, and within their post secondary goals.
- Be based on specific goals, standards, and competencies that are developmentally appropriate for all students.
- Be planned and delivered by our school counseling team and collaboratively works with all stakeholders to establish resources and provide appropriate services.
- Use data to collect, monitor, and evaluate measurable results to steer and ensure growth within our developmental services.
The McHenry East and West High School counselors will:
- Abide by the professional school counseling ethics and the model outlined by the American School Counselor Association.
- Commit to professional development to ensure an up to date and quality school counseling program.