District 156 Special Education updates:
As you know, we take great pride in providing your students exceptional educational and therapeutic services. We are also dedicated to keeping all students and staff safe and healthy. District staff, private placements, homebound tutors, and related services continue to follow state and federal guidelines while providing instructional and therapeutic opportunities to all students. Below are special education updates thus far and resources for students and families. We will continue to update you as information becomes available, changes are made, etc. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions and/or concerns. Be safe and stay healthy!
Becky Covalt, D156 Director of Special Education - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Annual IEP meetings will continue to be scheduled digitally;
- Upcoming reevaluations will be reviewed and parents will be contacted about the determination; to complete the reevaluation during school closures or to reschedule when school resumes;
- Initial Evaluations & Domain Reviews on hold until school resumes;
- Special education instruction and related services are continuing digitally;
- Private placements are continuing to provide instruction and related services (contact your student’s private placement for digital and/or home learning plans);
- Homebound tutors are continuing to provide digital instruction (contact your student’s assigned tutor for digital learning plan).
Please refer to the district homepage for updated school closure information @ dist156.org
Please contact Becky Covalt, Director of Special Education, for special education related questions and/or concerns @ email@example.com.
ISBE Special Education Guidance:
ISBE School Closure Guidance:
Co:Writer and Snap&Read Tools
Learning Ally App (audio books for students with reading disabilities):
Occupational Therapy Home Activities and Resources:Writing AppSpeech-to-Text
Community Resources (social emotional and financial):
Additional On-Line Learning Supports/Resources:
https://edu.gcfglobal.org/en/ (functional skills)
Special Education Services
McHenry Community High School District 156 provides a full continuum of services for students who have been identified with having a disability under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). These services range from support in the general education environment to specialized instructional courses, and/or related services. The goal of special education and related services is to support each child and address their individual needs in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE). An Individualized Education Program (IEP) is developed in collaboration with students, parents, teachers, and related service staff on a yearly basis minimally. We are committed to providing a supportive environment in which our students with special needs can develop academic, social, emotional, vocational, and life skills.